Care and support plans

Care and support plans are for anyone who needs care or cares for someone else.

A care and support plan says:

This means you can:

It also helps your family and friends understand how they can help you.

How to get a care and support plan

First, you'll need to contact social services at your local council.

They'll speak to you about the problems you're having. This is called an assessment.

Afterwards, the support you need is written up as a care and support plan. You should get a copy of this within a few weeks.

There are 2 types of assessment. One is for people who need care and the other is for people who care for someone else.

Read about how to:

What care and support plans include

Care and support plans include:

If you're a carer, it will also include:

Reviewing your care and support plan

Your care and support plan will be reviewed regularly to see what's working and not working, and if it's still the best support for you.

This usually happens within the first few months of support starting and then once every year.


If at any time you're unhappy with your care, call adult social services at your local council and ask for a review.

How to complain about an assessment or care plan

If you're not happy with how your assessment or care plan was done, you have a right to complain.

First complain to your local council. It should have a formal complaints procedure on its website.

If you're not happy with the way the council handles your complaint, contact the local government and social care ombudsman. This is an independent person who looks into complaints about organisations.

Page last reviewed: 23 August 2022
Next review due: 23 August 2025